Right around this time of the winter — if you can call this season winter, that is, with all the rain and above-freezing-ness going around — I get a little antsy. The Christmas season and its assorted festivities are over, spring is still a ways away, and Spring Training hasn't started yet.
What better time to throw Major League into the good old-fashioned Blu-Ray player and give it a whirl, then?
Some of the minor details are a bit off:
- the stadium supposed to be in Cleveland was actually in Milwaukee
- there's no way Spring Training starts on March 1
- Lou Brown wouldn't be managing a single minor-league team for 30 years
- I'm pretty sure Miss Fuel Injection would have a better body than Rene Russo... but it'd be close
- if you tail a woman home from work and awkwardly walk into a dinner party hosted by her fiancé who hates you, you're probably just going to get the cops called on you*
- major league baseball teams don't force their players to sleep in bunk-bed dorms
The only quibble I have with it is the inclusion of the romantic subplot. Alright, Jake, we get it — you had the hots for a woman once, but you were a dick and she left and you "couldn't cut it in the Mexican League." But, yet again, a looooooooove story threatens to douse an otherwise hilarious movie with a bucket of piss-warm water. WHO CARES?! SHOW ME MORE OF PEDRO CERRANO WHIFFING ON CURVEBALLS! No wonder Kurt Vonnegut rarely put romance into his works of fiction.
At any rate, it's a great movie and you should watch it. Go Tigers!
* You're really going to want to take my word on this.