Friday, July 15, 2011

Some observations about Indiana.

I spent the day today somewhat leisurely making my way across Indiana, going from Chicago to Fort Wayne, where I'm staying at this somewhat kooky B&B downtown. Here's what struck me about the state:
  • There are a lot of churches here. A LOT of them.
  • A lot of those are really, really big.
  • Did you know that a shit-ton of Indiana's licence plates have a big ol' "In God We Trust" on them? It's true.
  • Valparaiso University is pretty small, for an American school that I've heard of. (I think they're decent at basketball.)
  • Whoa, they have less than 3000 undergraduates!
  • Downtown Fort Wayne is pretty, but the suburbs are... well, unimpressive to say the least. This is a trait shared by a lot of smaller US cities. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.
  • The local baseball team here plays in a fantastic stadium, Parkview Field. They have a great selection of beers and the prices are decent, but just like every other place I've ordered chicken fingers in the US, they've never heard of serving them with plum sauce. Can you believe that?!
Four days, four US states, four baseball games: Illinois (Cubs last night), Indiana (Fort Wayne tonight), Michigan (Detroit tomorrow afternoon) and Ohio (Toledo on Sunday night). That's a lot of ballpark beer, but I think I'm up for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi from Seattle again! I figure I can comment twice a year and that makes my other 10 months of lurking acceptable. That's so cool that you are visiting minor-league stadiums. (No, I will not say stadia.) Have a great time and good luck finding plum sauce at a ball game. If you find it, say where you did and how the team is doing. We have sushi, hummus and garlic fries but nothing that exotic, and if selling plum sauce can kick the Mariners' offense into gear then I hope they consider doing it.