- There are a lot of churches here. A LOT of them.
- A lot of those are really, really big.
- Did you know that a shit-ton of Indiana's licence plates have a big ol' "In God We Trust" on them? It's true.
- Valparaiso University is pretty small, for an American school that I've heard of. (I think they're decent at basketball.)
- Whoa, they have less than 3000 undergraduates!
- Downtown Fort Wayne is pretty, but the suburbs are... well, unimpressive to say the least. This is a trait shared by a lot of smaller US cities. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.
- The local baseball team here plays in a fantastic stadium, Parkview Field. They have a great selection of beers and the prices are decent, but just like every other place I've ordered chicken fingers in the US, they've never heard of serving them with plum sauce. Can you believe that?!
Friday, July 15, 2011
Some observations about Indiana.
I spent the day today somewhat leisurely making my way across Indiana, going from Chicago to Fort Wayne, where I'm staying at this somewhat kooky B&B downtown. Here's what struck me about the state: