Sunday, November 21, 2010

Please just shoot me now.

I've never had a cold be so intensely bad for so long. Normally I get a sore throat for a day or two, have a day of sniffles, a day of chest congestion, and I'm home free. This is DAY FUCKING EIGHT of feeling really shitty, and I've just about had it.

For the past four days I've been hacking like a chain-smoker. On Friday night, when out to dinner with a friend, an admittedly-delicious (and normally rather innocuous) club sandwich triggered a coughing fit of epic proportions. I think the rest of the Kelsey's probably thought I was trying to infect everyone with the bubonic plague or something.

Saturday, the bro came down, we watched a whole lot of Eastbound & Down, ran around town a bit, then hooked up with a couple of friends and headed over to Grossman's. The band was good, the beers were tasty, and we even got to see a bit of high drama: two women bolted from the dance floor, they had words, one poured a drink on the other, who batted the pint glass out of the pourer's hand, and the pourer stormed out the door. Fun! What better way to cap off the evening than with "a plate of BBQ pork" from the Kom Jug, then? (Seriously, that's what Mike/Bob Sacamano ordered, and by-gum, that's what he got.)

On Saturday night, when talking with my brother and friends, we spent some time in a bar with some live music, so I had to get a little shout-y. This is hard on the voice even when I'm not sick — teaching sorta wrecks it a little each day anyway, and loud bars don't help — but when you essentially have to give it 110% for a couple of hours just to be heard, you don't sound too good at the end. Last night when I went to bed, I sounded really croaky; this morning, when I first spoke, I barely had anything there, and that freaked me the hell out. All day I've made a conscious effort not to use my voice (after my brother left), which has been really strange; it turns out that I talk to myself a hell of a lot when I'm alone.

Anyway, today, I swear, I've tried to be productive. Not very hard, mind you, but I did try. I did manage to get the main parts of what I had to get done for tomorrow for this Ministry/ILC writing gig tonight, and tomorrow I just need to fill in some gaps and bundle this off to the bastards. (Why did I sign up for this, anyway? Becoming Education Czar of Ontario isn't going to be a cakewalk, I suppose.) Granted, after banging out the first few bits of it, I got really sleepy and zonked-out for a two-hour nap on the futon here in the spare room, but hey, a fella's gotta do what a fella's gotta do.

...marking? What marking? Oh, you mean the giant pile of it that I didn't touch? Well, there's always tomorrow. Ugh.

(Seems like a common theme, doesn't it?)

Fuck this, I'm tired and sick. I need to sleep. This shit can wait until later.

1 comment:

kelly o! said...

It's been going around. I'm currently past week 2 of being sick and I blame the kids who cough and sneeze all over us when we're coaching.