Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'm writing, get off my back already, MOM.

We've hit the end of summer, and yeah, things have been mostly uneventful around here. However, if you're looking for a little inspiration (or a way to kill a few minutes/hours of your time), I can recommend a few things.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

You know how local-yokel TV stations on their noon newscasts sometimes have special segments with reporters that exclusively do fluff-pieces for filler? There's a sketch comedy show called Tim and Eric, Awesome Show, Great Job! (a funny show on its own) that featured an inept reporter, Dr. Steve Brule, played by John C Reilly, that eventually spun off into its own show, Check It Out!, with Dr. Steve Brule. Some original clips from "Tim and Eric" are here, and some clips from the spinoff show are here.

2. The Mighty Boosh

It's a BBC show which focuses on the exploits of two characters, Howard Moon and Vince Noir, who are... uh... well, in the first series they're zookeepers, in the second they're just wacky guys, and in the third they're struggling musicians. There's a gorilla and a shaman involved, and to describe the rest would be pointless. It's not Aqua Teen absurd, but it's gone down that road a ways.

3. Putting a little uppercut into my swing

I came across this during a baseball game we played on Tuesday night. I've been trying to finesse the ball here and there, with mixed results, all season. So, I stepped into the (right-handed) batter's box and decided to swing a little harder and with a bit of an uppercut, and whadda ya know, I hit a double to left-centre. I think that's what I've been missing lately... sure, it's nice to poke a seeing-eye single through a hole to drive in a run, but it also feels really bitchin' to hit a ball a long way.

I've been into the school for the past four days, so my holidays are essentially over. What I've found, though, is that it takes a few days to really get my head back into the game; Monday and Tuesday I went in for the afternoon and basically got squat done. Today, though, I had more focus and actually accomplished quite a bit, in terms of organizing stuff for the department.

Holidays are fun and all, but being productive is a good feeling too.

3 comments:

lauries said...

I love your writing as much as I love the way Steve Brule says "Sweet berry wine!" A LOT.

JTL said...

FOR YOUR HEALTH!

Seriously, though, who are you?

lauries said...

Oh, you don't know me. I found you one day while goldbricking at work (like I am now, as a matter of fact!) after I looked at some other, now-forgotten blog and clicked the "Next Blog" button a few times. Usually that directs me to someone's musings in Portuguese or pictures of their home-schooled kids, but there you were, writing about my once-upon-a-time favorite song by The Raspberries - and I kept reading. Cheers from Seattle, Sir!