Sunday, June 27, 2010

A most excellent musical obsession.

Normally, I don't fall this hard for songs (with the exception of this one), but this pair of ridiculously awesome power-pop songs from the early '70s just has me absolutely HOOKED.


The band is Raspberries, from Cleveland. The lead singer (at least in this part of the band's history) is one Eric Carmen, who you probably know if you were alive in the late '80s and you either (a.) were a girl, (b.) knew a girl, or (c.) just really liked movies that had characters creepily nicknamed "Baby":


Ooooooooh, such '80s production! "GET ME MORE REVERB ON THAT SNARE!!!"

Tell ya what... sometime in the near future, I should do a lyrics-deconstruction for "Hungry Eyes." I hope it turns out as weird as Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" — especially since Jennifer Grey's character in the movie, Frances "Baby" Houseman, was listed at the ripe old age of 17.

UPDATE: I watched the rest of the second video for the first time in a long time, and had TOTALLY FORGOTTEN about the ridiculous "saxophone solo." Just watch it, ok?

2 comments:

ecb said...

Even though I knew you put a link to Lay it on the Line, I had to check just to make usre. Then cringe/wretch.

JTL said...

You'll learn to love it, I'm sure.