Thursday, April 29, 2010

Teenagers say the darndest things.

Today in Physics we were talking about sound intensity (the decibel scale, how we perceive sound, etc) and a couple of interesting points came up.

* * * * * *

Student #1 (incredibly earnestly and in a somewhat hopeful tone): "I heard somewhere that there was a rock concert that was so loud that some girl's top blew off."
Me: "It always comes down to that, doesn't it?"

* * * * * *

Student #2: "So, has anyone tried to make something so loud that they could use it to kill people?"
Me: "I'm not quite sure that'd work, really. Although, in the late '80s, the US military got former Panamanian president Manuel Noriega to come out of the Vatican's embassy by playing loud rock music 24 hours a day... on the eighth day he said he couldn't stand it anymore and came out."
Student #3: "What'd they play?"
Me: "I think it was a lot of Van Halen.* But, I think if you wanted to really torture someone, I'd probably play that 'I Believe' song from the Olympics."
(somewhat-protracted silence)
Student #4 (very meekly): "Um... I like that song."
Everyone in the room except Student #4: "REEEEEEALLY?!!?!??"

* * * * * *

Me (pointing to a diagram of the ear): "You see the auditory canal? When my brother was little, he got the cotton end of a Q-Tip stuck in there and had to go to the emergency room to have it taken out."
Student #5: "That happened to me too! But I just grabbed some tweezers and yanked it out myself."
(assorted other students describe their run-ins with Q-Tips)
(teacher marvels at the overwhelming bad luck and/or stupidity of teenagers)

* * * * * *

Never a dull moment in this gig, lemme tell ya.
____________________________________________
* Apparently it was a 2-song rotation of "Panama" by Van Halen and "I Fought The Law" by the Clash.

No comments: