Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm on vacation, bitches.

Greetings from the Sunshine State... and it has been sunny, don't you worry — sunny enough to remind me that I'm sometimes sloppy with the sunscreen and manage to miss various appendages and parts thereof. (Ouch.)

The past three days I've been nerding-out on baseball in Lakeland, hanging out with a couple of people from the Tigers-themed blog/site, Bless You Boys. Good times indeed, highlighted by the following:
  • getting my picture taken with Miguel Cabrera* and Brandon Inge
  • seeing the Tigers win three straight games
  • drinking at a dive biker/redneck bar, the awkwardly-named "Cocktail 33 19th Tee" on the outskirts of Lakeland, on two consecutive days
  • talking about baseball practically 24/7 with other baseball nerds
* Holy crap, this guy is as big as a house when you get up to him. And the ball really does sound different coming off his bat; you don't hear just a crack or a pop, but there's a thump to it as well.

My two BYB buddies had to leave today, though, which means I'm flying solo for the next two days in the Kissimmee area. If you're not familiar with central Florida, that's the part that's closest to the Disney empire... and it's, ahem, "blessed" with more than its fair share of tacky, touristy crap. I don't think there's any way humanly possible to cram any more t-shirt stores onto any given mile of US 192 than there are here.

But, I'm not here for the crappy t-shirts, or anything Disney, or the hot- and cold-running college babes** down here on US Spring Break. I'm here for the baseball. And, to quote a wise man from a time long, long ago: "Base-e-ball aaas been berry berry GOOOOOD... to me."

** Number one, there haven't been hardly any that I've seen. Number two, can I really pick up a 19 year old girl anymore? Number three, would I even want to? They're like little kids to me now. Sexy little kids.

No comments: