Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's been slow around here.

And I like it that way.

A few random observations follow.

* * * * *

I dig the German hockey team's uniforms. They're somewhat scary, which is exactly as you'd expect from Germany. If I was Sweden, though, I'd ditch the day-glow yellow and go with blue instead.

We live in the land of ice, so why can't we make friggin' proper ice at the long-track speed skating rink? Don't make no sense.

There are some really interesting segments on CTV hosted by a doctor talking about various science-y things in assorted sports. I wish I'd taped the one on snowboarding. I think I'm also a nerd.

I've thought about what the easiest way to get into a Winter Olympics would be, and I've come to a verdict: curling. Not to say that curling's easy, which it's not, but I sure as hell don't see myself ever excelling at ski jumping, hockey, or snowboard cross. Similarly, for the Summer Olympics: pistol shooting.

I've never shot a gun in my life.

No-touch icing is a great idea, and I wish the NHL would adopt it; ask Michel Goulet what it's like to have a career ended by a mad, futile dash for an iced puck.

I love how CTV showed several minutes, on national television, a live feed from the Canadian men's hockey team practice. Yup, just practice.

Why is Morgan Freeman narrating the Visa commercials on Canadian television — as Donald Sutherland busy narrating everything else in town or something?

Who else is sick of the CTV Olympics jingle, on every commercial bumper in and out? And that chick they're pushing who warbles away on that "official Olympic theme song"? Who made that the official song, anyway? And why can't it be "Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy instead? (RIP, Phil Lynott.)

Funny/cute moment: gold-medal-winning ('02) figure skaters Jamie Salé and David Pelletier strapped on speed skates and hit the ice. They nearly fell all over the place, but Pelletier said it's the first time in years that he "just skated" without having to do anything else, and he loved it.

* * * * *

Alright, I'm spent. Time for speed skating and possibly pie.

No comments: