Thursday, November 05, 2009

I wish I had more to tell you.

I think the title of this post pretty much says it all.

The lack of any sort of day off in the stretch between Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays has really been playing tricks on my mind lately. The reason this all seems ridiculous to me is because, well, I'm usually pretty resilient when it comes to my mood.

Hours of daylight getting shorter? Who cares!
Clouds aplenty instead of sun? Big deal!
H1N1 killing tens of millions worldwide? No sweat!*
* except the sweat from the fever that eventually turns you into a useless, wasted bowl of jelly

I realize that nine straight 5-day weeks in a row with nothing in the middle to break it up is pretty routine in a lot of jobs; people work some pretty crappy gigs, to be sure, and the fact that I really love my job puts me squarely in the minority — as a straight white male of pseudo-quasi-Christian-ish-y background, hey, there's a first time for everything. But what my job has that others lack is an absolute, down-to-the-second rigidity in terms of time and schedule. It just isn't flexible at all, and there's no getting around that; part of the gig, though.

A friend of mine was regaling a few of us around the dinner table last week about a recent company outing to the U2 concert at the SkyDome a few weeks ago... limos to the show, booze everywhere, kickass corporate tickets, and the next day everyone rolled in around noon. As a member of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan, and hence part of the group who is the majority owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs (unfortunately), I think it's high time we got a similar kickback:
  • every year, all the teachers in one school get shipped to a Leafs game
  • we get rinkside seats and free booze
  • we get drunk as skunks, get boorish, and maybe get ourselves thrown out of the joint
  • we go out for more drinks afterwards to really get the ol' team-building thing down pat
  • we fall into bed nice and late
  • classes start at 1 the next day!
Ooooooh, I think I'm on to something here.

1 comment:

Dave said...

1 the next day. How about 1 the next Monday?