Thursday, October 29, 2009

Good riddance.

Well, apparently the National Post is one day away from going tits-up. It's lost money from day one, and since CanWest is on shaky financial ground already, it's time for Izzy Asper's Dream Paper to go the way of the dodo.

Back when I was an undergraduate at UW and the Post was new, they would dump off stacks and stacks of these papers for us to read — and, presumably, once we graduated and got real jobs with real money, we'd subscribe to this newspaper we all got hooked on reading.

The first thing that jumped out at me, though, was the stupefyingly large number of spelling and grammatical mistakes; I figured that if I, a lowly physics student, could pick out grammatical mistakes in an ostensibly professional publication, what kind of quality could the thing be? Mind you, this was before I got interested in politics and the like, and didn't realize that the Post had a rightward slant that would make Ayn Rand blush.

So, in summary, the Post is (was?) a shitty right-wing rag, and I'm not the least bit sad to see it go. Guess you'll have to find a new mouthpiece, Fraser Institute!

1 comment:

Duder said...

'Splain the Ayn Rand slant to me? Though, halfway through Shock Doctrine I think - in the Atlas Shrugged context - I might have an inkling as to the thrust of your argument.
Additionally: the National Post sucks vastly.