Sunday, October 04, 2009

Bands, baseball and boo for marking.

There are several bands that, given my music nerddom and taste for indie-rock, I feel like I should like, but really don't. A few:
  • Metric (their melodies are empty, and Emily Haines' voice gets on my nerves)
  • Modest Mouse (I've tried with their pre-"Roll On" stuff, but it just doesn't click for me)
  • The Flaming Lips (although this may change; I liked the song they did on the Colbert Report)
  • The Doors (mostly because the same dozen songs are exceedingly overplayed everywhere)
  • U2 (good early work, god-awful for the last 15 years; also, they're corporate whores)
I'm sure there are others, but these come to mind presently. Anyone else have any pet-peeve band they'd like to share? Make a comment.

* * * * * * * *

The Tigers managed to hold on to a 5-3 win today against Chicago, and of course the Twins swept the Royals easily... which means there'll be a one-game playoff for the AL Central title on Tuesday afternoon. I don't get TBS on my cable anymore, which means either (a.) I'll head up the street to the local bar and beg them to put the game on, (b.) I'll listen to the radio broadcast of it over the Internet, or (c.) I'll break into someone's house who I think should have a decent cable package and hope I don't get caught, and possibly help myself to snacks.

* * * * * * * *

It's begun again: my extreme distaste for marking has resulted in a small backlog of stuff for my red pen to attack. Some of this was baseball-related; these days I can't listen to a Tiger game anymore without following along nervously with my fellow fans at Bless You Boys. However, most of it still stems from the fact that it's easily the most tedious part of my job, bar none. I'd rather spend hours mixing up 0.3-molar solutions of hydrochloric acid, attend week-long lab safety workshops at the Board offices, or be trapped on a plane beside Del Griffith when he takes off his socks so he can relax.


"Six bucks and my right nut says we're not landing in Chicago."

No comments: