Sunday, August 30, 2009

It's here.

The calendar still says August, but everything everywhere is screaming "Autumn!". I dig it, though... a friendly, jacket-inducing chill in the air, baseball pennant races making fans follow scoreboards with renewed intent, and the knowledge that a new season of Big Bang Theory is just around the corner!*

* * * * * * *

A friend and I checked out Buskerfest last night, down on Front Street between Yonge and Jarvis-ish. I can honestly say that, when I got up yesterday morning, I did not have the following thought: "Today I will watch a man pass his body through a tennis racket, a toilet seat, and a squash racket." There's not much in this life about which I'm certain, but that's gotta be right up there on the list.

* * * * * * *

People say Bob Dylan isn't much of a singer. While that fact is certainly true, in the end it doesn't really matter. Also, I stand by the fact that, if all he'd ever written in his career were "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Like A Rolling Stone," he'd still be considered one of the greatest songwriters in history. I mean, people know who Don McLean is, and he really only had one song that anyone knows.

* * * * * * *

I'm going to have the 11:40-midnight slot at the September edition of everyone's favourite rotating-DJs night in Toronto, Everyone's a DJ, on Saturday the 12th at Disgraceland (on Bloor just west of Ossington). I've already figured out the first song I'm going to play, and I can guarantee that, if you know it, you'll wonder if I'm sane or not. Come on out and see what it is, why dontcha?

* * * * * * *

The ancient Greeks thought that, for someone to truly be your soulmate, they had to be the same gender as you... which explains all the homosexual quasi-pederasty. As weirdly as that turned out in practice, there might be something to it: I mean, think about how differently men and women think and act and behave. When I get together with my guy-friends and talk about women, they know exactly what I think and why. That doesn't happen when I talk to female friends. Ever.

* * * * * * *

That being said, I still can't get enough of that kooky gender. To quote Homer Simpson, "They look great, and they smell even better."

___________________
* This show is friggin' terrible. As someone (a.) who has studied Physics a great deal, and (b.) who has eyes and ears and can watch/hear this show, it's just offensively bad on every imaginable level.

1 comment:

thea said...

my guy friends get my women problems too.

if I lived on your side of the country, I'd totally come and listen to you jockey those discs.