Thursday, May 28, 2009

I am a great fuckin' guy.

And don't you ever forget it. To wit:

Today we took the kiddies (57 of them) to Canada's Wonderland so I could get paid to ride rides. Mind you, this is after putting in hours of paperwork, getting all kinds of crazy forms in, counting mountains of cash, wrangling buses, rearranging kids from one bus to another because the second driver got into an accident on the way to the bus depot (in his own personal car) and it was going to be an hour before another driver got there, dealing with equipment, doing surgery on stopwatches to replace their batteries, counting and recounting and recounting kids again, and hoping it wouldn't rain.

(It sprinkled a couple of times, but the threat of rain kept away most casual parkgoers, and the lines were mercifully short.)

Outside the ride now called something like Backlot Stunt Track Dealie Thing (formerly "The Italian Job," when Paramount owned the park), I looked down and saw a fresh, new Season Pass to Wonderland, with the name also freshly written on the back. It was a somewhat-kooky Polish-looking name, which I imagine is pretty unique in this part of the world, so it later dawned on me that, through the miracle of Facebook, I could probably find her.

Which I did.

I'm putting the thing in the mail tomorrow morning.

Q: Who needs religion to have a set of morals?
A: Not me.

* * * * * * * * *

Why do Beck's lyrics seldom make sense? Listen to pretty much anything he's ever done (aside from Sea Change, which was straightforward and extremely solemn), and nothing ever comes close to being a coherent thought. I'm fine with this, because I think lyrics in songs are stupid to begin with ("Ooooooooh! I just looooooove how Hoobastank's lyrics make "The Reason" speak to me!"), and vocals make it easy for bands to get away without writing a true melody (as opposed to vocal stylings over dumb chord progressions). Is Beck using satire to show how meaningless most lyrics are? I can't bring myself to believe that he wants us to take the phrases "automatic bazooty" and "mouthwash jukebox gasoline" seriously.

2 comments:

Renee said...

He's a hardcore Scientologist. I'm sure it all makes sense, to him.

Eve said...

Not only that, but I believe he's a second-generation scientologist. Everything weird about celebrities can be explained when you discover the cult to which they belong.