Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cubbies.

I took today to meander in and around Wrigleyville, the part of Chicago around Wrigley Field (where the Cubs play).

I wasn't wearing anything with the word "Cubs" on it, or a red "C" on a blue background, or something to that effect.

To say I looked out-of-place was an understatement.

I've never seen anything this rabid, this fervent in sports, ever. Everyone on the north side of Chicago appears to love the Cubbies with all their heart. Toronto might come close with the Leafs, but I think TO's overall cultural mix makes for a lot of people in the city that have never seen, played or know anything about hockey, other than the local team is called the Maple Leafs, and that it's played on ice.

This all just makes me that much more stoked to see the Cubs play on Thursday and Friday. (I even bought a hat so I would blend in a little better.)

No comments: