Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Tigers? They're shit.

Detroit Tiger manager Jim Leyland is a newspaper writer's dream. Here's his response to a reporter's question about whether or not Leyland starting to publicly call out individual players for their crappy performances would affect the team or not. (The original quote had the profanity removed, but for effect I've re-inserted it.) Enjoy.

I don't give a shit what [effect] it has. When people start making weak excuses in the newspaper, diversionary tactics and shit, that rubs me wrong. I don't give a shit what effect it has. It can't have a bad effect, because we've been as shit as you can be. So it can't hurt. I'm not looking for problems here, but I'm a man. I look in the mirror. When I'm shit, I'm shit. And there's a few [players] in that clubhouse right now that are shit too. And they need to look in that mirror. Don't look at mine, look at theirs. And don't look at the guy next to them. Look in the mirror yourself. Don't be pointing fingers over here and why we're not doing well. That's all weak shit. Grilli's shit, some of that other shit I read in the paper today, that's weak shit. Weak.

. . .

Grilli should worry about Colorado. I mean, if Jason Grilli had done a better job, he'd still be here. I don't want to hear any weak shit from Jason Grilli. But that's not any concern of mine now either, because he belongs to somebody else. My concern is the guys out there that are talking weak shit. And they'll know about it today.

. . .

Look in the mirror. Look at the numbers. And you're worried about the clubhouse? Take care of the clubhouse then. You want me to run out there like a schoolteacher every two minutes, make sure the clubhouse is good? These guys are grown men. That's weak shit.

(For reference, former Tiger pitcher Jason Grilli was quoted in an article in USA Today today saying that the clubhouse had grown really stale and complacent by the time he was released in late April.)

No comments: