Thursday, March 13, 2008

News from Central Florida.

A little mid-vacay recap:

1. I rented an "economy" car from Budget, through priceline.com (a swell website for things like this). However, instead of some little tiny subcompact, they stuck me with a Chrysler PT Cruiser, which I have always maintained is the ugliest automobile in the world. See for yourself (the attempt at fancy lighting doesn't really help):


The thing is about as fun to drive as it is to look at. Also, unbeknownst to me at about 8:15 am on Wednesday (an otherwise-still Florida morning in a Days Inn parking lot), if you use the key to unlock the trunk with the car's doors still locked, an alarm goes off. Who knows why the fuck why. But now I'm afraid of the thing.

2. The baseball has been excellent so far — one game in Dunedin, today was in Lakeland, tomorrow evening is right here in Kissimmee. I have a bit of lingering pinkness, but I was in the shade all this afternoon, which helped.

3. My current hotel room is right by the elevator. Every ninety seconds or so, the electronic-y bing! sounds, and... well, I'm about ready to take a sledgehammer to the thing.

4. Americans drive like they're continually nodding-off at the wheel. Maybe they are, I don't know. But they sure do act like it.

5. I'm gonna geek-out all day tomorrow at the Kennedy Space Center, before the baseball game in the evening. Woo!

6. If you've never been to an Old Navy-ish clothing store in the US called Dave & Barry's, you really oughtta go. Often, including today, they have sales where everything in the store is $8.98 — so I picked up a pair of sandals (not flip-flops, which I hate), a pair of baggy basketball-ish shorts, and a pair of brown sneakers (quite a departure for me, but hey, for nine bucks, c'mon!).

7. What kind of a hotel doesn't have Comedy Central? I'm going through Daily Show Withdrawal over here.

1 comment:

ecb said...

1. I had the mispleasure of driving a PT cruiser when I was in Chicago. Nothing about it appealed to me, I'm worse off for having driven it.

2. My apartment is directly across from an elevator. At first I couldn't figure out what this rumbling sound was and thought there was someone rolling a cart past my door. So I waited for the sound, jumped out in the hall and realized it was the noisy rattly doors of the elevator. You're going to love it here in 2 weeks ;)