Saturday, March 01, 2008

I'm taking the plunge.

I've put it off for years.

Said I was going to do it, and chickened out. Made plans for "another time," but ended up being too much of a wuss. My dad's done it, and he even has two bad knees from decades of climbing up and down towers in petrochemical plants.

I normally pass the buck to Lou, who I pay to do it for me. He's a bit pricey, but he's good. Really good. Better than I could ever be, I bet.

This year, though, is different.

This year, I will prepare my own tax return.

I'm gonna go old-school on this one, too — none of that fancy-pants computer software for me, thanks. Here's what I figure I'll need:
  • a pen
  • a calculator
  • a shoebox full of receipts
  • six borrowed Guatemalan "dependents"
  • a quart of gin
  • moxie
  • 2 girls
  • 1 cup
Really, how hard can it be? I don't own a multinational corporation, I have no kids (that I know of), and I didn't even pay any tuition in 2007. The way I figure it, I'll do my tax return early, and if it's really not coming together right, I'll call up Lou and let him do it for me.

Wish me luck, folks.

No comments: