Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back to the nest.

I'd pretty much had it.

Phones not ringing. Voicemail cutting out. The line not releasing itself for a good minute after hanging up. Other assorted weirdness.

Ted Rogers, you just lost a customer for your Home Phone service. But, let's face it, there was thin ice everywhere from Day One, when I got assigned a 647 area code for a land-line. I mean, seriously — 647? What am I, some sort of leprous lothario who deserves a banishment to the Siberia of GTA area codes? People are going to think I have a cell phone, and we simply can't have that. The 647 is for creeps, perverts and ne'er-do-wells, and I'm only two of those things.

In the end, I decided to call up Ma Bell to welcome me back to the phone company I've alternately loathed and longed-for over the past dozen years. I have to change my number with a variety of sources, but in the end I think it'll be worth it: better service, a respectable area code, and a little revenge on Uncle Ted for renaming the Skydome.

In an unrelated note, The Ballad Of El Goodo by Big Star is a fantastic song. There's a video of them performing the song live in 1993, but if you can find the original from 1972's #1 Record, you'll want to crank it up and play along with it.

No comments: