Thursday, November 08, 2007

A quandary.

A few times in our lives, we're faced with a choice which affects the way we look at the world, how we go about our day-to-day business; in short, a so-called "paradigm shift." The question is this:

CD or (legal) download?

You see, the Sadies have a new album. I like the Sadies; they're always a great time. They're not a huge band, so I'm more inclined to pay for their good work than to steal it. (Seriously, do the Rolling Stones need any more cash?)

Anyway, on the Yep Roc Records website, I can download the thing for $10... or I can buy the CD for $15, plus $5 shipping. I know what you're thinking: "Dude, c'mon. Download and burn it." But, it's not that easy.

I really, really enjoy having a CD in my hands. I like inspecting the artwork, perusing the lyrics, combing through the thank-you's to see if they snuck someone in there like Don Knotts. But is it worth the extra dough — in this case, ten dollars, plus tax? Tough to say.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the download come with the album cover art and liner notes? I know most downloads come with at least the art...look into that and maybe that's your answer?

ECB.

Eve said...

What's the quality of the download? If you're blasting it, you'll be able to tell the difference between 1440 and 192 kbps.