Thursday, September 06, 2007

And sometimes, it backfires.

Good news on the Ontario election front...

Seems as if John Tory's latest "let's fund private schools with public money" is not going over well. I think Robert Fisher captured it pretty well in a teaser-preview for the CBC Radio 1 Toronto news on my drive home tonight: "The Conservatives are in damage-control today over John Tory's plan to give public money to private schools. 'There's more to our platform than just that issue,' he said."

This means:

1. People are talking about this issue. A lot. And when people talk about issues, politicians will lend an extra-sensitive ear to their discussions and fine-tune their message towards that public sentiment.

2. If Tory's so worked-up about diverting people's attention away from this issue by trying to dazzle them with something else, that must mean people hate his idea pretty passionately.

And that's a good thing.

I cannot tell you how much I hate the idea of public funds for private schools.

But I imagine that, over the next few weeks, I'm sure as hell gonna try.

No comments: