Saturday, March 31, 2007

I had no idea.

Some shocking statistics out of a Newsweek poll in the US:
  • 90% of people surveyed believe in God (I presume this also includes "gods")
    (Alright, so this isn't that surprising. But get ready, the big one is yet to come.)
  • 48% of people surveyed reject the theory of evolution
    (Seriously, what the hell is wrong with Americans?!)
  • 34% of college graduates accept the biblical story of creationism as fact
    (Apparently this number is in the single-digits in most other industrialized countries.)
  • 62% of registered voters say they would not vote for an athiest candidate
    (What better way to achieve separation of church and state?)
  • 36% think organized religion has had an increasing influence on politics in recent years
    (Seriously, why isn't this statistic 100%? Even the evangelicals would have to admit this one.)
  • 31% of people think religion doesn't have enough influence on politics, with this number heavily slanted towards Republicans
    (Surprise, surprise.)
  • 12% think John Edwards is using his wife's illness due to cancer to his political advantage
    (That bastard.)
Oh well... all is not completely lost:
  • 66% are dissatisfied with the direction the country is headed in
Hallelujah.

3 comments:

Jon said...

Dear J:

I'm at work right now, and I don't think I have your email address handy, but I wanted to run the following by you:

FACT: I do not work from April 12-14.

FACT: The Tigers are in town, playing the Jays for a 4 game series, 12-15th.

Want to make an outing of Saturday afternoon? (the 14th?)

JTL said...

FACT: I plan on making it to as many games in that series as possible.

FACT: It will be a great personal achievement if I make it to all four.

Thus, if you want to accompany me to the SkyDome on any one of those days (12th and 13th are night games, 14th and 15th are day games), give me a ring-a-ding-ding.

The invitation is open to everyone else who reads this, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Gah! I just read this same study in the Skeptical Inquirer and was going to tell you about it! I'm chilled to the bone *hides under coats*

ECB.