Sunday, January 28, 2007

Mission(s) Accomplished.

I made two New Year's Resolutions, and I believe I have fulfilled them both (at least in part).

1. Drink more
For the first time in almost a year, I attended Ritual. Started off with two double-rye-and-cokes (short glass, no fruit, no straw), which tends to set the train a-rollin' juuuuuuust fine, then kept up the brain-pickling with a steady diet of Keith's until KC and the Sunshine Band's "Baby Give It Up" came over the speakers at around 5:30. I realized I'd forgotten most of the Clark Hall Dance... and either most of my fellow dancers had forgotten it as well, or they were (like I was) too drunk to really care if some of the moves got messed-up. At any rate, it's a hell of a lot better way to spend a Friday afternoon than yelling at a room full of ridiculous teenagers to stop being ridiculous.

2. Watch Jackass Number Two
I enjoy high-brow comedy: politically-flavoured farces, British humour and the satirical works of the late Phil Ochs. But I also can't stop laughing at the Jackass fellows... so last night I made good on my second resolution and rented the aforementioned sequel. Yeah, you know what sorts of things to expect from Number Two: vomiting, various colo-rectal feats, random punching/slapping/kicking, and assorted pranks pulled on Bam Margera's parents, April and Phil (including a delicious one called "The Switcheroo"). All in all, a wonderful way to spend an evening.

Other news that's fit to print:
  • Did you know eggs could go bad? I didn't, until today. (Well, I'd always figured that since they were a food product it could be a possibility, but I suppose I've always used dozens I'd purchased in a reasonable length of time. Except today. Yoiks!)
  • There are less than 3 weeks until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. It seems like yesterday that the Tigers were playing... oh, wait, it practically was (well, at least it was the end of October).
  • Nice snow, eh? Finally, some winter.
  • "Highway Star" by Deep Purple, while admittedly awesome, does not, for me, fall into the category of "psychedelic rock." Call it "proto-metal" if you like, but to me psychedelia is more of an early Jimi Hendrix/Piper at the Gates of Dawn/"Incense And Peppermints" kind of thing. Discuss.
  • I'm feeling disconnected from the indie music scene these days, not co-hosting a indie-rock show on a campus radio station anymore and all. Fortunately, the CBC Radio 3 and KEXP podcasts are awesome. If you don't know how to do this podcasting thing, just ask a grown-up and they'll help you (but remember, don't talk to strangers*).
* Unless they have candy.

1 comment:

Hubert said...

Dude, you didn't know eggs could go bad? What the hell, why do you think we keep them in the fridge?