Monday, December 11, 2006

Take that, bitches.

I successfully defended my Master's of Education thesis today.

I am now J, Master of Education.

Master, muthafuckas!

It actually ended up being not that big a deal. There were four people in the room, other than me: the Chair of the Defence (from the Spanish department), my Supervisor, the Dean's Delegate (also an Education professor) and the External Examiner (a retired Biochemistry professor). First they sent me out of the room for a few minutes so they could compare notes, so I twiddled my thumbs on a comfy chair down the hall until they hauled me in for my 10-minute presentation and the "meat" of the defence, the questions.

The Chair can ask questions, but because the thesis being defended is out of their area of expertise, they usually don't ask too many; the dude stuck by that general rule. Next came questions from the External, and they were good, but a bit on the kooky side; he's a pure scientist and it showed (he wondered why there weren't error-bars on my little graphs which had a sample size of 100,000 as I clearly stated). Then came the Dean's Delegate; I'd seen her at a Colloquium before and she was a real bulldog, but she played nice and actually asked some really interesting (if a bit off-topic) questions. Finally my Supervisor asked a couple, just to clean up a couple of things. All told, this took about an hour... but it was actually surprisingly cordial and friendly.

Then came another (briefer) round of questions, in case something I or someone else said reminded someone else of something they wanted to ask about something-or-other. As the questions came around again, I got more comfortable and started to realize that pretty much everything they were asking was in what I'd written... I don't know if they knew that and were just testing to see if I knew what I wrote or if they hadn't actually read it that closely, but I damn well wrote that thing, so I should damn well know what's in it. Again, though, things were quite friendly. (We're a friendly bunch in Education; it's a common occurrence for people to bring muffins they've baked themselves to their Colloquium.)

So, they sent me out in the hall yet again so they could deliberate on whether I receive a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down, figure out what little things I need to fix, and bring me back in. "Congratulations, J," the Chair said to me, and I shook hands with everyone else. Sure, I have to add a paragraph here and fix a sentence there, but overall the final edits are very minor. (The most difficult thing will be printing off four more copies of this bitch: one for the library, one for some government archive thing, one for me, and I believe one for the little boy who lives down the lane.)

There. It's over (essentially). A huge load off my mind, for sure.

In other news, my super replaced our building's already-tiny washing machine with one which is somehow smaller than the one before. Sure, washing each sock individually brings them a lot of cash at $1.50 a load, but it's a giant pain in the ass.

6 comments:

kelly o! said...

yay!

Lindsay said...

Woop!

Andrea said...

Congrats!

alexfritz said...

Congrats, man!

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you could work out how many laundry machines a quarter will be deposited into in its lifetime. I'll bet it's, like, 130. It's probably worthwhile to buy an apartment washer/drier; that's on my list right after a dishwasher. Which is right after "an apartment".

- nee

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, and congrats :)

-nee