Monday, September 04, 2006

Sharpen your pencils.

...unless you have one of those clicky-pencils. They don't sharpen well. I prefer the "side-clickers," myself — comfy rubberized grip, and you don't have to go all the way up top to advance the lead. What a brilliant leap in mechanical pencil technology!

So, yeah, school comes back tomorrow. It'll be me staring into three separate seas of new, blank, stupid faces. Kids these days are so dumb! It's a good thing that's mildly endearing, or else I'd slap them all back into last week the first chance I'd get.

But seriously, I don't think it's quite sunk in yet that I'm going back to being a real teacher. Summer school was a miserable facsimile of the real thing (all work, no play, hardly any colleagues), and supply teaching in May and June was a breeze (no prep, no marking; just keep the kids from ripping the paint off the walls). I guess those were warm-ups for what begins tomorrow: ten months of The Grind, with little reprieves here and there.

I've heard it dozens of times: "Oh, that's a sweet gig... summers off, no weekends, done at 3:30." I think the best response I've heard to that came from my department head who said, "If anyone gives you that line, just tell them, 'Well, if it's so easy, why don't you do it?'" That usually shuts them up, when I've had the chance to bust that nugget of wisdom out on them.

I always get a little nervous the day before school starts. You never know what a new semester or year is going to bring, and this year is obviously a little different for me, having been off the previous two. But I have a feeling it's going to be interesting. Verrrrrrrry interesting.

No comments: