Thursday, May 11, 2006

I'm a bit torn.

I have a conundrum.

Being back in the classroom, albeit as a lowly supply teacher, is great fodder for writing. Teenagers do some stupid/crazy/awful/hilarious stuff, and I'd like to be able to share my experiences on the front lines of public education. There's some really interesting (to me, anyway) stuff floating around my brain, and I'd like to get it out of there. Maybe you'd even like to read it now and again.

The problem is, though, the whole thing about "writing publicly about your workplace" — people have been fired for doing such things. Rest assured I'd never name names of kids, or colleagues, or my school, or the board in which I teach, or even if I actually work with aliens from Neptune. (That last one's an exaggeration, of course... but sometimes it doesn't feel too far from the truth.) That, and maybe, somehow, in some convoluted fashion, someone I teach might catch wind of my writing, and figure out who it is (remember, no names or anything identifying), and... well, suffice it to say, there'd very likely be sugar in my gas tank the next day.

I think I've come to a possible solution, but it requires (I think) LiveJournal: a private, friends-only type of blog-dealie. But that's a pain, and requires you to get a (free) LiveJournal member name, and really, I'm not out to inconvenience you. Still, there are great stories to be told, and I want to tell 'em.

Leave me a comment if you're in favour of this, or against this, or just really really really like lemon merangue pie just like my uncle Garry does. Man, does he love lemon merangue pie!

5 comments:

optimus said...

Wordpress also allows passworded entries :)

kelly o! said...

mmmm....lemon meringue pie....

Muffin said...

I was about to agree with Optimus.

Howe'er, I wouldn't wish Wordpress on my most hated enemy. You can't even EXPORT!

Plus, LiveJay is more popular and would require less signups for people (because they're likely already signed up, you see).

Anonymous said...

There are published books with crazy medical stories from med students/doctors. I don't see why you can't share teaching stories.

I'm regreting not buying that lemon meringue pie when we bought the pound cake...ah regrets.

ECB.

Ryan said...

So long as names or locations aren't evident (and it can't be linked back to you, as the teacher) I think it'd be fine. If that's the case, you may want to drop the photo (as anonymous as it is) from the blog, and perhaps not use your initials... doing that, of course, would be a big headache.

I'd read a password-protected entity, though. Even if I had to *gasp* sign up for it.