Saturday, March 25, 2006

Holla if you jab hunks of plastic into your ocular cavities.

My vision is... meh.

I wear glasses whilst driving either (a.) at night, or (b.) in unfamiliar places; I also wear them now in movie theatres. I think my eyesight has become a bit worse since my last set of glasses in spring '04, especially in my left eye (which has always been better than my right). It's irritating, though, when I can't see stuff off in the distance, or when I'm wearing glasses and they slide down my nose.

To that end, I'm wondering if contacts might be a good fit for me. I've heard people say that they'll never go back to glasses after them, and that they really can change your life for the better. (I'll assume the person from whom the second sentiment came had much worse vision than mine.)

I'd like to hear peoples' perspectives, experiences and so on with contacts vs. glasses. What do you use? Disposables vs. more permanent ones? Is it an expensive endeavour? Let's hear what you have to say.

4 comments:

Richard said...

I got a trial pair of contacts a month ago. Because of my condition (astigmatism) I was told that contacts would never be as good as glasses.

I wore the contacts for a while, but I gave up because they were too much of a hassle.

Right now I've regressed back to using my naked vision, since my perscription isn't too strong (legal to drive).

My advice is this - most opticians will give you a trial pair for free (to get you hooked). So try them, there's no real downside.

'nee said...

I freaking LOVE my contacts.

Several words of advice, though: get the expensive kind. Also, you can't wear contacts for more than 12 hours at a time, at least not on a daily basis, or your eyes won't get enough oxygen and it could led to damage. To prevent that, you have to get the $65 porous 24-hour-wear ones - but don't wear them for 24 hours, just 12 - just don't get the cheap-ass $25 disposable ones. They're going to be on your EYEBALL. Don't go cheap. Also, ask your optometrist to recommend a solution for you, none of that Optima crap.

As long as you follow those two rules, CONTACTS RULE. (Unless you have astigmatisms, as Richard said, then they can be uncomfortable unless they're an expensive custom fit.)

Muffin said...

Hey guy, I am on the bandwagon here. I really like my contacts. My only problem is that I've recently developed astigmatism and I'll have to switch to torque contacts. They spin every time I blink, so my vision blurs every time I blink.

I'd recommend contacts above glasses any day, if only because it means your glasses don't freeze to your face in the winter and they don't fog up when you come in from the cold.

Muonproof said...

I used to wear contacts all the time back in high school, but somewhere along the line my left eye became very sensitive and became irritated easily, so I started wearing glasses a lot more. I've since switched to a different type of contacts which allow more oxygen to pass through, O2 Optix, but because of the long time in which I essentially only wore glasses I've gotten to the point where I'm too lazy to put in contacts every morning.

My eyes are so bad though that glasses don't actually give me the same quality of vision as contacts. I'm at the point where I don't drive at night if I'm wearing my glasses, only if I'm wearing contacts.