Saturday, February 25, 2006

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

...but mostly Planes.

I can't honestly remember the last time I awoke as early as 4:15 in the morning, but alas, that's what today brought. We were out of the hotel by 5 for a 6 o'clock flight from Timmins to Toronto.

This flight takes a little less than two hours, which means my ass was in Pearson a little bit before 8 this morning. My flight for Kingston was to leave at 12:35, but, whoops!, it was snowing like crazy, so it got delayed.

Then it got delayed again.

The upside to this was that (a.) I could get a little more work done (it's sad that my most productive thesis-writing workspace seems to be Terminal 1 at Pearson Airport), and (b.) there was a really cute girl waiting for the same plane to Kingston.

But, the downside to that was (c.) she wasn't seated next to me, and (d.) really, having gorgeous women around me just reminds me that none of them will willingly disrobe in the privacy of my apartment.

However, the upside to (c.) was that (e.) I sat beside this very grandmotherly German woman on the flight from Toronto to Kingston. It's not too often that one gets to talk to someone who lived in Germany (Hanover, to be precise) in World War II. Apparently after the war ended, the Americans in their city said, "Alright, you can raid the food warehouses for three (3) days, and you can take anything you can carry," so people were hacking open giant bags of sugar and flour, and carrying it away in buckets or whatever else they could find.

That's your silver lining, folks.

At any rate, the trip to Timmins was a success because (f.) I enjoyed hanging around teenagers and doing science with them, (g.) I realized that it's easy to slip back into teacher-mode after a layoff, and (h.) I actually managed to write about 16 pages' worth of thesis, which is (sadly) more than I would've written had I been at home.

1 comment:

Pat.Trish said...

isn't it great when things turn out better than expected?

hmm...hot girls are always nice...

sometimes...you just gotta shut down the analyzing and criticizing part of the brain for a lil bit..
sit back..and just enjoooy..

but don't stare..cuz that's rude..lol

sounds like the thesis writing is coming along ...