Thursday, February 23, 2006

Dispatches from Timmins.

Wireless internet access in the hotel room. Hooray! Oh, the wonders of technology.

Today's presentations went very well. It's been a long time since I've worked with kids who are as young as Grade 4. Here are some observations vis-a-vis children who are approximately 9 years old.
  • Random giggling is to be expected. There's always one kid who'll burst out in fits of laughter for no, repeat, no discernible reason.
  • Expect any and all questions. Randomness is the key.
  • They have about one year left where learning new stuff in school, and being excited about it, isn't seen as uncool. By the end of Grade 6, this enthusiasm will somehow be beaten out of them, which is a real shame.
  • Kids this age will invade your personal space. They'll come right up to you and grab you as they ask you for stuff. Thankfully, teenagers don't do this.
  • Making a mess is always awesome. No matter what the reason, they like messy things.
The afternoon was filled with high-schoolers. It's also been a while (although not that long) since I've had two dozen teenagers in the room, and I've honestly how forgotten how rambunctious they can be, if they're a little bit distracted. So, when they started to get a little off-track, it was clearly time to blow something up, or make fun of some kid (in a light-hearted way). All in all, a pretty successful day.

I think the main thing I'm taking away from this experience is that the dream I had a few days ago won't come to fruition. In it, I envisioned myself returning to the classroom, but being a completely ineffectual moron who didn't know anything about how to work with a room full of high-school kids. Today it was surprisingly easy to slip back into the role of teacher, even though I didn't know the kids and have been away from it since June of 2004. So, when this September rolls around, I'll be just fine. And that's pretty comforting.

2 comments:

kelly o! said...

"Kids this age will invade your personal space. They'll come right up to you and grab you as they ask you for stuff. Thankfully, teenagers don't do this."

Are you sure about that?

'nee said...

As a teenager I recall that I did a lot of slouching, but never any touching. Er, of teachers, anyway.